Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thinking outside the box

Things haven't been fun around here. Yes, finals are finally over, but ever since I've been done I have been working NONSTOP. I took on this security/maintenance job in order to get free a room while I take summer classes. And boy, it hasn't been a walk in the park.

7 am mornings. Enough said, right?

Painting. That would be fun if there weren't approximately 400 rooms to paint in such a short time span.

Moving furniture. I feel like I do A LOT of that.

At least I get off at 11am. Although they try to beg me to stay longer. Sometimes I give in. I'm a sucker like that.

The worst part of all is the cafe is closed until the start of summer classes and the kitchen was temporary out of service.

How's a girl suppose to eat?! Lately it's been salads and sandwiches (and Kool-aid). My cousin would appreciate these summer meals. Since I haven't made it around to getting my favorite summer dessert, popsicles, I had to get creative when it came to something sweet.

Without an oven, I had to think outside the box. I decided on an icebox dish I seen on The Kitchn. Icebox desserts are no bake, no fuss treats that you store in the fridge. This ones strawberry and oh so delicious.

No Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake (via The Kitchn)

2 lbs fresh strawberries
3 1/4 cups whipping cream, divided
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 sleeves of graham crackers
2 oz finely chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips


Gather all of your ingredients, as I sort of did here. 2 lbs fresh strawberries; 3 1/4 whipping cream, divided; 1/3 cup confectioners sugar, 1 tsp vanilla; 4 sleeves of graham crackers (I only used 3); 2 oz finely chopped dark chocolate; and 1/2 tsp rosewater (optional)

Wash all the strawberries. The recipe originally called for setting a couple aside for garnish. I attempted to do that, but since I broke my dish into smaller containers to give away instead of just one pan, I eventually skipped that step. 

A moment of honesty: This is my first time whipping cream! I'll admit that I was shocked to see this liquid go from this...
...to this by simply whipping it!


Anywho, whip 3 cups of cream with a hand mixer until it holds stiff peaks. 

Whip to combine vanilla and sugar. Now the hard part is done!

Slice strawberries until your heart is content. 

Keep going. The more, the merrier.

Ok now layer! Add a dollop of whipped cream to the bottom of the pan. Next completely cover the cream with graham crackers. Then pile on some more cream. 
Next layer some strawberries and then cover in yet more cream. Please don't think about the calories! There's so much cream. 

Repeat steps until you reach top of pan. As a final step (which isn't pictured) make the ganache. Heat cream until bubbling occurs along the edges. Pour over chocolate, let it sit and then whisk. Drizzle over the dessert. 

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Dish is best within 48 hours, otherwise it makes really soggy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment